Monday, February 4, 2013

Gaming: My 16-Bit Childhood


For those of you who recognize what one of these are, you might have grown up the way I did.

When I was growing up, one of my first memories is hearing that classic music from World 1-1 in Super Mario Brothers. Video Games were the first thing I remember being truly passionate about. I spent countless hours taking that Italian plumber through countless pipes. I can remember being furious the first time I read: Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

Not being mr popular or mr athletic, video games were my escape, my relief from being the lonely nerdy kid before nerdy was cool.

As much as I loved Mario, my world was rocked when I discovered Pokemon. There was a period of time that I never let my gameboy away from me, I had to evolve the next pokemon to get ready for the next gym.

I remember the first time I saw Mortal Kombat, and the blood and gore shook something in me, and I couldn't get enough.

Some of the greatest times as a kid with the few friends I had were the countless rounds of Goldeneye we played.

I've been a gamer as long as I can remember, even today with my PS3. It's been a friend, a rival, an escape for a kid who wasn't always proud of being a nerd. I think I would be a much different person today had I not ran into that Italian plumber and his brother Luigi.

No comments:

Post a Comment